We have made apple butter in the past many times, and most recipes call for a cup or more of sugar. In most cases it was almost too sweet to be enjoyable and the natural flavor of the apples seemed to get lost in the sugar. This apple butter crockpot recipe calls for 4 simple ingredients. It’s gluten free, refined sugar free, vegan, and oh so tasty.
- 6 lbs of apples, cored
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Core all your apples using an apple corer/slicer. Here's a tip, if you're using a corer, cut a tiny bit off the top and bottom of the apple for a flat surface, it'll save you time. If you don't have one, use a paring knife to core and cut the apples into fours. Leave the skins on. Use an assortment of apples or just one kind, it's completely up to you. We used all organic gala apples.
- Put all the apples in the crockpot and cook on low for four hours.
- After four hours, take a potato masher or similar utensil and mash down all the apples. Cook on low for another hour.
- After the additional hour, remove the contents from the crockpot with a soup ladle and place in a large bowl and turn your crockpot off. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, put 3-4 ladles of the apple mixture in a blender and purée. Return to the crockpot. Repeat until all your apple mixture is back in the crockpot.
- Add the spices, mix, and turn your crockpot on high, and cook for an additional 2 hours with the lid off, stirring occasionally.
- Remember, organic ingredients taste better!
The puréed apples with the spice.
And this mornings breakfast. Enjoy!